First designed in 1938 and delivered to The US Navy in 1940, The Martin "Mariner" was informed America's first "Flying Boats". Smaller than the later Consolidated "Catalina" PBY, over 1,300 were produced. Only a few were actually lost the in combat. The "Mariner"-Class were among the first Aircraft deployed to locate The Japanese Attack Fleet that destroyed Pearl Harbor in 1941. The "Mariner" crewed 7 (but could handle 13). As a "Flying Boat", The "Mariner" was designed to be launched from a water platform. It was raised and lowered to The Sea from it's Carrier Ship. Used on both Aircraft Carrier Squadrons and from Port or Harbors, The "Mariner" was seen as a multi-purpose aircraft (patrol, attack and reconnaissance).
No less than 16 variants were developed, with Great Britain purchasing 30 for it's Coastal Defense. The "Mariner" was powered by Twin Wright 14-cylinder Engines, each capable of 1,600 HP. This gave it an airspeed of 205-mph and an operation range of 3,000-miles. The "Mariner" had a relatively low ceiling of only 19,000-feet. Typically, "Mariners" were 80-feet long with wingspan for 118-feet.
Heavily armed, they featured (8) .50 Caliber Machine Guns, mounted in the Nose, Fusilage, Tail and Upper Turret. They also carried up to 4,000-pounds of either Bombs or Torpedoes. Although production stopped in 1945, The "Mariner" saw extensive service during The Korean War of 1950-1953. Used by many Countries in their Coast Guard, the last "Mariner" was retired in 1964.