Developed in Prussia in the mid-19th Century, The Dreyse was the invention of Gunsmith Johann Dreyse. The weapon featured a needle-like firing pin which passed through a paper cartridge which in turn would strike a percussion cap set into the base of a bullet. The Dreyse was also the first rifle to feature a bolt action to open and close the chamber. The rifle's rate of fire was around 10 to 12 rounds per minute. The weapon was also known as The Model 1841 Light Percussion Rifle. The Dreyse became the standard issue weapon of The Prussian Infantry. The weapon became a popular import for the fledgling Japanese Army during their Modernization phase during the late 19th Century. The rifle weighed around 10-pounds and had an effective range of 500 to 650 yards. The Dreyse design was renovated many times during it's evolution which lasted from 1841 to 1873. It's glaring short comings was it's range. Many other rifles (including late Era muskets) had a better effective range. Also, excessive gas leakage from the bullets often created miss and “hang” fires. The Dreyse Rifle also had a tendency to bolt jam with repeated (and excessive action).