Located in Pickering, North Yorkshire, England - it was built by The Normans (in defense against possible Danish attacks) and was commissioned by William The Conqueror between 1069 to 1070. Initially a wooden Motte and Bailey classification of fortification, it also had a Moat system. Converted into a stone structure beginning around 1180, it's walls and additional interior structures (Guardhouse and Chapel) were added in 13th Century. Pickering Castle was largely untouched during the War of The Roses and The English Civil War (one of the few that was not slighted or ruined). The Castle and grounds are in particularly good condition and are open to the Public.