The US Model 1841 Field Cannon was the primary Field Gun of The US Artillery. Light at 900-pounds, The Model 1841 had an effective range of 1,100 yards. The brass cast barrel was capable of firing 3 and 6-pound shells (with a 12-pound version developed later). Normally crewed by 4 to 6 men, the weapons was a mainstay for Infantry support during The Mexican War of 1846-1848. they would continue in use until replaced by The Napoleon Field piece in the mid 1850s. Many were sent West and were assigned to many American Frontier Forts.