Long an Ancient symbol of Scotland, The Cross of St. Andrew dates to 1180 A.D. - as a symbol of Scottish resistance against English Rule. In 1385, the first version designed was a sky blue field with the White Cross place to occupy the entirety of the field. The Cross is symbolic of the Martyrdom of St. Andrews. By the 15th Century, the light blue field was changed to dark blue. With England's Union, The Cross was incorporated into the St. George's Cross to create The British Union Flag (The Jack) – in 1801. It is still flown today on important Scottish events.