Raised in 1636 by English Governor Roger Williams, The Colony of Massachusetts was identified by this Flag. The entirety of the Flag was Red, with a solid White (unadorned) Canton in the Upper left corner. As was typical of The Era for English Flags, The Cross of St. George was not placed in the White Canton by Williams. A fervent Protestant/Puritan, he felt it wrong to display the “Cross of Christ in any form”. Later of course, the Red Cross would be added and used to identify the Colony (as well as it's many Militia Units during The American Revolution of 1775 to 1781).