One of the first versions of a Pilot Badge created for use in The US Army (1914), The Signal Corps. Aviation Qualification Badge was first issued to famed future US Air Force General (then Lieutenant) Henry Arnold. The Badge, was a simple Brass Colored Tab Device, into which was inscribed ''MILITARY AVIATOR''. Suspended by twin chain attachments, was an Eagle Image. The Eagle was ''perched'' (clutching) a Bar, upon which was affixed The US Army Signal Corps. insignia of Twin Semaphore Flags. The criteria for award was a Service Member (Office or Enlisted) to have achieved a platform height of 2,500-feet. This could be by aircraft or balloon. ''Control;'' over the Platform had to have been achieved. A ''Pilot'' had to further make a ''controlled'' landing with at least 500-pounds of additional weight. The final qualifier was to make a 20-mile ''flight''.
The Signal Corps. was a short lived award to The Army Flying Corps. It would be replaced in 1915 by traditional Military Aviation Pilot ''Wings'' Qualification Badges (which also required more qualification criteria). Those few awarded it, were still authorized to wear them for the ''life'' of their career. The Badge was worn on the Right side of the Uniform, above the Pocket Flap. However, when a standard issued ''Wing'' Badge was issued, those so awarded wore them in addition, as a Signal Corps. Badge. Photographs show it placed on the Pocket Flap.