The Soviet Union's "Victory Banner" has a rather unusual page in the history of World War II. The Infantry Banner belonged to the 15th Rifles, and was designed to be placed over The Reichstag Building (once captured) in Berlin, Germany. It was, but was somewhat deprived of the "honor". The Banner is a Red Field in entirety. The Red color is symbolic of Communism. Placed in White lettering (in Cyrillic, the Russian written language), was the following:
"150th Rifle, Order of Kutuzov, 2nd Class Idritsa Division, 79th Rifle Corps. 3rd Shock Army, 1st Bellorussian Army"
On the morning of May 1, 1945 - The 150th Rifles had hard fought there way through the City of Berlin (street by street). The Battle of Berlin had been raging since April 26 of 1945. Taking The Reichstag Building (seen as the "heart" of Nazi power), The 150th sent a soldier to the top of the structure to erect the specially designed Banner (which could be seen throughout the City). Serving to inspire, it also signaled an end to Hitler's Germany. As many other National Soviet Flags (The Hammer, Sickle and Star Emblem), were raised on other buildings, it was decided on May 2, to remove The 150th Banner, in lieu of The Soviet National Flag. Photos were taken of a lone Russian soldier as he had just placed said Flag, on the Reichstag.
The now famous photograph is one of three pictures which have come to symbolize World War II. These are: US Marines raising the US Flag on Mt. Sirabachi, during The Battle of Iwo Jima, The "Victory Kiss" in New York City's Time Square on V-J Day (Victory over Japan) and The Russian Flag over The Reichstag. Most people know nothing of The "Victory Banner" (outside of Russia). Carefully preserved, it us stored today in very much the same way The American Declaration of Independence and Constitution are protected. It can be seen anytime that The Central Museum of The Armed Forces is open - in Moscow, Russia.