Founded in 1791 (near present day Fremont, California) – The Mission San Jose was administered by The Franciscan Religious Order. It was the 14th Mission built in The “Mission Fort” System. Local Native Americans were extremely hostile towards the Spanish Priests and Settlers, and The Mission was the scene for several attacks (even having it's roof set on fire). By 1791, “peace” had been made, and many of the former “enemies” (now Converts to Christianity) – helped enlarge the Mission and plant the much needed crops for the Missions “self-preservation”. In 1806, a devastating plague swept the Region and almost all of the Native Americans were wiped out (as were the Spanish Settlers). In 1833, the Mission was the first of it's kind to have an “entire” Native American Orchestra (taught by Mission Priests). They were “very popular” (by accounts). Suffering under Mexican Desecularization in the 1820s, Mission San Jose fell into disrepair. It was not until it was “gifted” back to The Church in the 1860s was it properly renovated. By this time, many of the original Missions were no longer required to “produce” food crops for themselves (or others within The System). Priests reassigned to Mission Jan Jose however, continued this practice (raising 110 metric tons of wheat!) They also grew Olives and Figs as well. Restored again between 1915 and 1950, much of the original Mission is gone. The central structure (with Chapel and original Bells), still exist. The Mission still serves as a Parish with The Catholic Church. Much of the interior still has original 18th Century religious Art work on display.