From Portugal, The Order was founded possibly in 1459 as a “quasi” Military Order of Nobility. They were possibly used as “Home Guard” and Royal “Protectors” to The Crown of Portugal. The Order was secularized around the mid-19th Century. The Order uses a slightly different Ranking structure with a Grand Cross (Master), Grand Commander, Grand Officer and the standard Knights and Officers below. The insignia of The Order is a 5-pointed White Star with a Crowned Tower. A Sword in shown on the reverse.