An early heraldic symbol of The Crusades, The ''Pisan Cross'' was first designed in 1017 by Catholic Pope Benedict VIII. It was originally used to identity Christian Forces in their fight against The Saracens during their campaigns in Sardinia. It would go on to become representative of The City of Pisa – of which it still is part of The City's Crest. The Cross is a fluted version of the traditional Christian Cross, which has tripled bulbs on each top cap edge. Normally portrayed in White, The Pisan Cross is also shown as Red in color on some Coats of Arms.