An early development in hand to hand warfare used by Native Americans, most Tribes had developed this form of striking weapon. Some examples have been dated to 12,000 B.C. With time, these weapons underwent evolution into a more recognizable Club-like device. Used for close quarters combat, originally, they were semi-flattened pieces of Regional hardwood (in most cases, “fire hardened”). Lengths of handles varied greatly, but a “standard” of 2.5 to 3-feet was acceptable. The top of the Club was grooved out in a semi-circular pattern. Next, stone (granite, for example), was “shaped” into a smooth ball pattern. Diameters could be from 5 to 6-inches (in some cases). They would be attached by animal sinew (dried). These Stone Clubs were very effective at blunt force trauma, bone damaging or obviously, death (if struck on the head of an enemy). Some handles were slightly curved or they could be straight (again depending on the Tribe that was producing them). Often “spiritual blessings” were given to some War Clubs (for success in battle). Later versions were also made (and fashioned), from single pieces of crafted wood (as with a Wooden Ball Club). Most “Middle Western” American Tribes had stopped using them (for the most part), with versions still being seen in use by Eastern Seaboard Tribes well into the 18th Century. Some examples were reputedly used against Custer (by The Sioux), at The Battle of The Little Big Horn (1876).