Also known as St. Thomas Fort, it is located in Dublin, Ireland. Originally an earthen Medieval fortification under ownership to The Knights of St. John Hospitaller – the lands were taken during England's “Dissolution of Monasteries” (1606). Realizing the strategic location, a stone “Magazine Fort” was constructed (and was named so after the building style). Designed to store gunpowder in a cool location (and hopefully dry). The 5-foot thick walls and interior structures were completed in 1735. Located on roughly 2-acres, Magazine Fort featured a complete Dry Moat System with Demi-Bastions built overlooking all 4 principle Corner Points. The Bastions were designed to support light cannon (for defense).
Overhead cranes and pullies were designed to assist in the movement of large kegs of gunpowder from deep set vaults, to the Fort's Main ground. Numerous refurbishments were conducted between the 18th to 20th Centuries by the occupying British Army. Upgrades to cannons and technological improvements all made to bring Gunpowder Fort into a “modern” Defensive structure. Gunpowder Fort earned a place in history during the 1916 Easter Raid – by Irish Rebel Forces against England's Occupation Forces. A small Irish Force attacked an under defended Fort – with the goal of destroying the gunpowder reserves. A failed fuse ignition system failed to destroy the gunpowder (and only damaged some of the Outer Perimeter walls).
The Fort is considered where the first shots of “The Rebellion” began. In 1939, Irish Republican Forces again tried to take Gunpowder Fort in the abortive “Christmas Raid”. Over 1 million rounds of ammunition and other munitions were taken. Most were recovered by The British. The Fort was turned over to The Irish Army in the later 20th Century. It is now deactivated and a Museum open for Public viewing.