Flown for the first time in 1835, this was a "Volunteer Banner" of Colonel William Ward and his Georgia Volunteers. They harkened to Texas to help in their War of Independence against Mexico. Ward and his Militia went to relieve Colonel James Fanin, left to Garrison The Town of Goliad. Outnumbered and outgunned, almost all of the 390 surviving Militia of both commands, were all wounded to some degree. Under orders from Generalissimo Santa Ana, the Garrison was marched from the Town and massacred to a man. The Ward Flag was a White Field in entirety. Centered, was a large 5-pointed Light Blue Star. The phrase, "TEXAS AND LIBERTY" was added beneath the "Lone Star".