German Linse Boat

  • World War II
  • 1 min

By Crusader1307

The Linse Boats were a type of remote, radio-controlled and light-weight vessels, specifically designed to be used as explosive naval weapons. Designs were first used as early as 1940 by Germany's Kreigsmarine (Naval Forces). Variations were seen in used by both Japan and Italy as well. The Linse Boats were made of light-weight aluminum and later balsa-type wood. They were similar in design to many Torpedo-Patrol Boats, then in use by most Naval Forces. They were ''fast attack'' vessels that saw most of their use from Ports. Later, some were deployed to defend German positions in Normandy, France. The Linse were around 55-feet in length and 25-feet at their widest position. They featured an enclosed Deck with a slightly reinforced Command Cuppola (recessed). In this compartment was housed the radio controlled electronics with maintain speed and directions. No forms of optical, on-board camera surveillance was known or used. They were considered a ''line of sight'' weapon.

 

The Vessels carried between 500 and 1,000-pounds of various explosive types. The goal was to steer The Linse Ships towards Allied Merchant and Warships. Overall speeds achieved ranged from 25 to 35-mph. The idea was to ram an Enemy Ship and detonate it's stored explosives. A drawback was that a Support Ship with Operator was needed to control The Linse by Line of Sight. This exposed The Control Ship to Enemy fire. While seen as more of a ''psychological weapon'', several Linse Ships were used to attack and destroy Allied Shipping in The North Atlantic and several in The English Chanel.