German Erma 7.65mm Machine Pistol

  • Firearms Thru History
  • 1 min

By Crusader1307

The Treaty of Versailles (which ended WWI), severely limited Germany's ability to maintain any standing Military Force – with the mass production of various weapons heavily restricted as well. The Treaty specified that only a very small number of fully automatic Machine Guns could be produced. German Military Authority began to mass produce ''Machine Pistols” in other Countries as a way of circumnavigating The Treaty. A ''Machine Pistol'' was not considered a Machine Gun. Hence the creation of what would become The Erma Machine Pistol. Mass produced in Spain, The Erma was a hand-held, 7.65mm firearm with an extended wooden stock. For all purposes, The Erma was a form of Automatic Carbine. Weighing 8-pounds, The Erma was a blowback cyclic rate of fire which fired 550-rpm. Fed by a side clip which held 32-rounds, The Erma had a 250-yard effective range. Produced between 193 and 1938, over 100,000 models were produced. The majority of which was ''field tested'' by both Nationalist and Republican Forces in The Spanish Civil War of 1936-1939. The Erma would go one to be used heavily by German National Police Forces and Police Forces in Occupied Countries (Poland, France etc.) Many Erma's fell into the hands of these Countries Resistance Forces, who made good use of them Easy to maintain, The Erma would remain in use well into the 1950s by some National Armies.