Developed for use by The Imperial German Army in 1918, it was also one of the shortest lived tanks in history (lasting only 7 months in deployment on the battlefield). Designed to be “multi-purpose” armored vehicles, they could be adapted as cargo transport and fighting vehicles. Considered the first real “tank” built by Germany (although late in the War) – The AV7 was 33 tons. It was 25 feet long, 10 feet wide and 10 feet high.
Capable of 9 miles per hour (on roads) and only 4 in field conditions, The AV7 used twin Benz 4-cylinder engines (200 horsepower). It's primary armament was the 57mm Cannon (issued with a standard 500 rounds) and (6) 7.9mm Machine Guns (with a standard 30,000 rounds). The AV7 was a “rolling Ammunition Bunker”. Initially, the Main gun was to be mounted rearward. Although short lived, The AV7 saw much combat. Several Museums Worldwide have surviving examples.