Fort Pulaski

  • General History
  • 1 min

By Crusader1307

Considered by many to be the most “impenetrable” Fort every built, Fort Pulaski's construction began in 1829 and was completed in 1847. Designed to hold 150 pieces of heavy artillery, Pulaski was locate at the mouth of The Savannah River (Georgia). Fort Pulaski was named after the Polish Count Casmir Pulaski (who sided and fought with American Colonists in their defense of Savannah against The British during The American Revolution). Pulaski was well suited to defense. Surround on 3 sides by marshlands (that flooded at high tide), it was also given a Moat Defense System (fed by The Savannah River). Pulaski was a Pentagon-shaped structure which originally featured 2-levels and many inset Casemates). The defensive perimeters were 7.5 feet thick.



A small Federal Garrison was present when it was “besieged” in January, 1861 by Rebel Forces. Taken, it became a major project of The Union Army (and Union Navy) – to “reduce” the Fort. Land attack was considered too risky (and the loss of life would have been too great). A massive 36-hour sea bombardment commenced in 1862. Hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of shot and shell were “poured” into Fort Pulaski. The Confederate Government was not worried (until they were told of Pulaski's fall). The Rebel Garrison only had stocked some 48 guns into the Fort's defense. Effectively reduced, Pulaski remained in rubble until it was partially restored in the 1930s by The State of Georgia. Made a National Historic Park in the 1950s, the majority of Pulaski's defensive perimeter have been repaired. Many of the Union artillery shot which hit the walls can still be seen.