Short lived, The Squadron Flag of The British Royal Navy, was used briefly in 1702. Designed by the then Lord Admiral of The Navy, The Earl of Pembroke – this Flag was designed to be used to better identify English Warships from The French in open sea. The Field of the Flag consisted on 3-Stripes - Red, White and Red. In the upper left Canton, a White Field held a Red Cross (The Cross of St. George). It was only used for 3 months before being replaced by the White Ensign.