The Naval Ensign (used by The Confederate Navy), is often confused with The Battle Flag. The CS Naval Ensign was developed in 1863. Measuring 4 foot by 3 foot, it featured The Southern Cross (similar to The St. Andrews Cross). The blue field of the Cross was a much lighter blue than The Battle Flag. IT was used (more or less) until the end of the War in 1865. Another flag based on The Stainless Banner was known to have been used as well. The 2nd Naval Ensign is often misused by ''Modern'' Southerners as the principle ''Battle Flag''. The dimensions were different, being longer for sighting ''at Sea''.