As we have seen, The State of Maryland was itself – deeply divided during The American Civil War (1861-1865). Many of it's populace had ''Southern sympathy'', leading many to wish to leave The Union and join The Confederate States. The Federal Government (owing to the proximity of Maryland to The National Capitol in Washington DC), placed an Army within The State to ''maintain order''. However, many Marylanders still joined The Confederate Army, often identifying themselves as Maryland Volunteer Militia. One such Regiment was a Cavalry Formation known as The 2nd Maryland Cavalry (also known as ''Gilmor's Partisans''). Raised in 1862, The Regiment consisted of 400 Officers and Men. Assigned to The Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee, The Regiment would also served under General JEB Stuart and later independently with other Partisan Ranger Units. With the eventual capture of it's Commander in 1865 (along with a sizable amount of Troopers), The Regiment was stricken from The Army's Muster Records in February of 1865 (2 months before the end of The War). The Regiment's Colors were a variation of The First National Flag of The Confederacy. This was a Blue Canton in the Upper Left corner of The Field. (3) Bars of Red, White and Red filled up The Field in it's entirety. The Upper Left Canton featured The State Crest in full colors. No Regimental markings were embroidered.