Flown in 1754 in The Royal Colony of Maryland, The Calvert Flag represented The Calvert Family (ceded as Protectors of The Colony by The King of England). A governmental ruling Party, they were identified by their own personal insignia. Their flag was yellow with staggered black and gold bars throughout. In the upper left Canton (Quadrant), was The British Union Jack. During The French and Indian Wars in The American Colonies (between England and France) – this Flag was carried by Maryland Militia. The current Maryland State Flag incorporates a portion of this flag (the black and yellow bars).