Fort Mercer wad located in Western New Jersey (US). It was of vital importance during The American Revolution to maintain communications between New Jersey and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Ft. Mercer was a strong Fortress built for that purpose. Withstanding many British assaults, by 1777 an assault force of 5,000 British finally took Ft. Mercer.
The Flag that flew over the Fort was unusual. Featuring a Field of 7 Blue stripes and 6 White stripes. The Upper Left Canton was Red with 13 White Stars. Originally captured by British Forces, the original Flag was never returned and was lost.